iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Housetraining a puppy or dog can be challenging. You know, as you head down the potty-training path with your furry friend, you’re embarking on a messy journey, but with the right potty-training products, teaching your pup where to go becomes a little easier. So, when you’re adding more paper towels to your shopping list, go ahead and grab some of these gems from our iHeartDogs list of the best potty-training products to be found.
Before launching into buying potty-training products, remember, housetraining a dog may not be the easiest of processes, but the work you’re doing now sets the foundations you and your pup will live by for years to come. With that in mind, remember patience and persistence are essential keys in housebreaking. Your tone sets the vibe, so stay upbeat and positive. Don’t yell or use harsh punishments when accidents happen; else, the potty-training party may turn sour.
Helpful Tips for Housetraining Dogs & Puppies
Now, consider what you will need for potty training. The answer depends on which method you plan to use. Some dog parents choose crate training, while others swear by puppy pads and quick timing. But again, whatever housetraining method you choose, patience and persistence will be your best tools. Dr. Mary Burch, Ph.D., director of the A.K.C.’s Canine Good Citizen and S.T.A.R. Puppy programs, also includes consistency as part of the training process and offers these tips for success:
- Consistent schedule – Keep trips outside on a regular schedule that works well with feeding and playtimes.
- Diet control – Adhering to a steady diet with meals served at the same time every day will help you learn your pup’s potty clock.
- Regular exercise – Be sure your dog gets regular exercise to help with regularity.
- Celebrate wins – Lavish your pup with praise and treats when they eliminate outside.
- Stock up – Keep plenty of potty-training supplies on hand, so you’re never caught without in a messy moment.
And we’ve got you covered on the potty products! Have a look at our list of the best housetraining supplies for dogs and puppies to find just what you need for success.
The Best Potty-Training Products for Dogs
#1 – Best Pee Pads for Housetraining Puppies
- Heavy-duty absorbency with plastic border to prevent overflow
- 5-layer construction with leakproof plastic lining keeps floors safe from damage
- Super-absorbent core turns liquid into gel on contact
- Quick-dry surface with built-in attractant helps aid in potty training
- Full pad measures 24 x 23 inches
Wee-wee pads, potty pads, or pee pads, no matter what you call them, the Amazon Basics Dog and Puppy Pads should be a staple in any dog lover’s home, especially when you’ve got a puppy. These five-layer pads soak up liquid like a champ, keeping urine from bleeding through the bottom layer to collect on the floor thanks to a thick plastic underlayer. Let your puppy dump their worst on these, and you won’t have to worry about mopping up a mess.
#2 – Best Pee Pads for Large Dog
- Measures 27.5 x 44 inches overall to give big puppies lots of room
- Built-in attractant draws pups in for easier potty-training
- Fast-drying quilted top layer helps prevent leaking and tracking
- Ultra-absorbent five-layer technology
- Non-skid backing holds pad in place on hard floors
Got a puppy who isn’t so little? You won’t have to worry over big messes with Frisco Giant Non-Skid Ultra Premium Potty Pads, as these pee pads measure in at 27.5 x 44 inches overall, giving your big baby plenty of room to go and not miss. Plus, the built-in attractant encourages puppies to go in the right spot for easier housetraining.
RELATED: From A Dog Trainer – How To Teach My Dog To Tell Me When He Needs To Go Potty
#3 – Best Washable Potty Pads for Housetraining
- Reusable pee pads save you money and create less waste
- Machine washable; regular cycle, tumble dry medium
- Pet Parents’ WickQuick fabric blend absorbs liquid quickly to prevent tracking
- Reinforced with triple-stitching, these durable potty pads are good for dogs of all sizes
- Anti-slip design holds pad in place
With the ability to hold more liquid per square inch than disposable competitors, the Pet Parents Pawtect Washable Dog Pee Pads will keep floors dry from seepage and tracking. And because they’re washable, you won’t have to buy box after box of disposable pads, which means you save money. These circular pee pads range from 17 – 48 inches in size, making them suitable for dogs of any size or age.
#4 – Best Pee Pads for Odor Control
- Activated carbon controls even the smelliest of odors
- 6-layers with quick-dry top layer to prevent spreading and tracking
- High-grade super absorbent polymer core turns liquid into gel
- Built-in attractant to help dogs know where to go
- Satisfaction guarantee means your money back if you aren’t pleased
Amazon makes our list of the best potty-training products for a second time with their Solimo Super Absorbent Puppy Pads. These odor control pee pads use activated charcoal to break down and eliminate the funky odors of doggy messes. Once captured on this six-layer pad, dog urine immediately turns to gel, preventing any tracking or seeping. And because the pads are sold in packs of fifty, you’ll always have plenty on hand. At thirty-two cents apiece, you’re spending a tiny bit to snuff out BIG odors with pee pads.
#5 – Best Eco-Friendly Potty Pads
- Top layer made from bleach-free, dye-free tissue
- Liner constructed of 50% recycled material
- 5-ply leak-proof Floor Armor system protects your floors
- Quilted core traps liquid to prevent tracking
- Light lavender and chamomile fragrance
Housebreaking a pup means lots of trash, so if you’re looking to feel better about all the waste, the Wee-Wee Eco-Friendly Dog Training Pads are just what you need. The top layer is made from bleach-free, dye-free tissue, and the leak-proof liner is constructed from 50% recycled material. But just because these pads are better on the environment doesn’t mean they aren’t tough at locking urine into their super-absorbent quilted core.
#6 – Best Training Treats for Housebreaking Adult Dogs
- Soft and chewy with a yummy taste
- Only 3 calories per treat
- Grain, wheat, corn, and soy-free
- Great motivator for training
- Every bag purchased donates 3 meals to shelter dogs
Our iHeartDogs Training Treats make the list of best potty-training products because these little snacks might just be the perfect trick for potty-training your adult dog. Plus, they’re only three calories per treat and made without grain, corn, or wheat, so a few extra bites to move the motivation along won’t hurt a bit! Plus, for every purchase, iHeartDogs donates 3 meals to hungry shelter pups.
#7 – Best Dog Crate for Housebreaking
- Easy assembly and portability thanks to fold-down design
- Available in six sizes for a perfect fit
- Two doors allow for easy access
- Includes a divider panel so your puppy can grow into the crate
- Slide-bolt latch for secure locking
The MidWest iCrate Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate touts itself as the ‘All-Inclusive Dog Crate’ and includes a free divider panel so your puppy can grow into the crate, an easy-to-wash bottom tray, carrying handle, and four ‘roller’ feet to protect floors. Plus, two doors mean easier access for you and your dog. And because it’s available in six different size options, you can find a Cinderella fit for your little prince or princess.
RELATED: Crate Training: 6 Steps For Teaching Your Dog To Love Their Crate
#8 – Best Potty-Training Aid for Stubborn Dogs
- Keeps dogs in one location to prevent potty accidents
- Five sizes to fit the smallest to the largest of dogs
- Easy set-up & no tools required for assembly
- Folds flat for convenient storage
- For indoor or outdoor use
If you’re trying to keep a potty-training dog with a stubborn streak out of certain areas and still want to give them space to move, then the MidWest Foldable Metal Dog Exercise Pen will be a great asset on your journey to a housetrained dog. A playpen barrier coupled with a synthetic grass mat or pee pad gives your dog freedom to play, but when their Royal Stubbornness does take a squat, it’s right where you need them to go.
#9 – Best Dog Potty-Training Product for Apartment Life
- Sanitary place for pups to potty inside or on balconies and patios
- Offers a ‘real’ feel of grass for potty-training puppies
- Reusable alternative to disposable pee pads
- Three-layer system with artificial grass that drains into secure pan
- Easy clean-up with soapy water
The Petmaker Artificial Grass Puppy Pad gives your pup the feel of grass beneath their paws when getting to the real thing proves to be a problem. It’s a great aid for potty training when you live in an apartment or condominium or when the weather is less than ideal. This three-piece setup also comes in handy for small dogs with tiny bladders or seniors who have trouble making it through the night. When it’s time to clean, all you need is soap and water, and you’ll also save on buying disposable pads.
RELATED: The 7 Best Dog Stain & Odor Removers To Clean Any Mess
#10 – Best Attractant Spray for Housetraining Dogs
- Encourages dogs to eliminate right where you choose
- Shortens potty-training time for dogs of all ages
- Great for use with pee pads
- Use indoors or outdoors
- Made in the U.S.A.
Help your dog know right where to go with the OUT! PetCare Go Here Attractant Dog Training Spray. This spray not only points the way to the right potty place, but it also helps shorten training time. Spray it in the yard or on pee pads to help your pup get the point.
#11 – Best Tech Potty-Training Gear
- Integrates some tech ingenuity into your dog’s potty-training
- Activator requires not even a pound of pressure to send a signal
- Choose from 38 different tones and 4 volume levels
- System installs in seconds; all you need is a standard outlet
- Mighty Paw brand is family-owned and made in the U.S.A.
Yep, it’s a doorbell for your dog! The Mighty Paw Smart Bell 2.0 Potty Training Dog Doorbell makes potty calls high-tech. Ready to go right of the box, the system plugs into a standard outlet, and the wireless activators require no power source. And with the included 3-step plan for training and customer support, your dog will be dinging that bell in no time!
RELATED: Beetl, The Backyard Robot, Is Designed To Pick Up All Your Dog’s Poop
You’ve got your housetraining plan down and decided which of these best potty-training products for dogs will work best in your home. Now, get to shopping and know you and your pup are well on your way to potty success. Here’s to mess-free days ahead!