iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
When you live with dogs, cleaning up messes is just part of life, and so is hunting down the best dog stain removers. With so many stain cleaners on the market, picking out a bum bottle that leaves the carpet smelling like pee and fake flowers happens all too often. But we’ve done our homework, cleaned some messes, and now the dog lovers at iHeartDogs.com have put together a list of the best dog stain removers that are tough on mess and odors.
But before we get to the best pet stain removers, here are some tips for removing dog urine from your carpet or upholstery:
- Soak up as much urine from the carpet as possible before applying cleaner. The Humane Society recommends using a thick layer of paper towels topped with newspaper to draw up the liquid.
- Rinse the spot with water and blot dry with clean paper or fabric towels.
- Attack that spot with your choice of stain cleaner, making sure to follow all the directions on the bottle.
And to help you choose the cleaner that will best work for your home, here’s our list of the best dog stain removers to tackle any doggie mess!
The Best Stain and Odor Removers for Cleaning Dog Messes
#1 – Best Overall Dog Stain Cleaner
- Amazing scent thanks to all-natural oil derived from fresh orange peels
- Destroys vomit, urine, & poo stains with ease
- Originally formulated for feedlots, sludge ponds, & boarding kennels
- Eliminate odors from carpet, tile, couch upholstery, garbage cans, & car interiors
- Made in the U.S.A
Ready to go straight from the bottle, Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator destroys odors and stains while leaving your home citrusy fresh, thanks to all-natural orange peels! Good for dog poop, urine, vomit, or any mess a dog can make, this dog stain cleaner has become an extreme favorite among Amazon users. Be aware, though; the strong scent can be overwhelming to animal noses, so keep critters away from the spot until the cleaner has thoroughly dried.
#2 – Best Pet Odor Remover
- Great for soft surfaces
- Unique Pro-Bacteria & enzyme formula lifts stains & eliminates odor to discourage repeat markings
- Patented 3-in-1 nozzle sprayer for stream, foam, or mist spray settings
- Made in the U.S.A.
Reviewers swear by Simple Solution Pet Stain & Odor Remover with Pro-Bacteria and Enzyme Formula for odor removal. This spray-on cleaner is tough on dog urine and poo, thanks to Pro-Bacteria and enzymes that break down and neutralize odors at the source while eliminating stains and discouraging repeat stains. Goof for use on soiled carpets, upholstery, bedding, fabric toys, clothing, and other water-safe surfaces.
#3 – Best Dog Urine Stain Remover
- Available in 32oz. or gallon size for BIG messes
- Billions of dormant enzymes that activate once they meet a stain
- Destroys urine odors for good
- Great for carpet, laundry, upholstery, or anywhere you find a puddle
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- Made in the U.S.A. with no animal testing
A must-have for pawrents of puppies or senior dogs, BUBBA’S Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner is great for stains of all kinds, but this natural cleaner is the solution when urine is the problem! The makers of this fantastic pet stain remover explain their formula contains billions of natural dormant enzymes that activate upon meeting urine. Competitor formulas use active enzymes that die off and lose effect in the bottle, while Bubba’s always remains at the ready!
#4 – Best Dog Stain Remover for Laundry
- No harsh chemicals mean the natural formula is non-toxic, biodegradable, & environmentally friendly
- The three-times-concentrated formula removes even the smelliest stains from laundry without leaving residue
- Skout’s Honor provides a day’s worth of food to an animal in need with every bottle sold
- Manufactured under the California Green Industry Initiative
- No animal testing and plant-derived
Dog beds are notorious for doggy stink and stains, but with Skout’s Honor Laundry Booster Stain & Odor Removal Additive, laundered beds will look and smell good as new. Thanks to its plant-derived formula free of hydrogen peroxide, you can rest assured this eco-conscious dog stain remover is safe for use in households with kids and dogs and won’t fade fabrics. Plus, Skout’s Paw Pledge ensures hungry shelter animals receive food donations through a partnership with Rescue Bank.
RELATED: The 8 Best Beds For Senior Dogs
#5 – Best Pet Stain Remover for Your Car
- Breaks up tough set-in stains caused by urine, feces, vomit, blood, dirt, & grass
- Chlorine-free, color-safe, and certified safe for use on all carpet types by the CRI
- Enzymatic bacteria formula “eats” ammonia crystals to dissolve urine and other organic stains
- Safe for use around children and animals
- Made in the U.S.A.
Cleaning the upholstery in your car always proves a little more challenging than inside the house. Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator is great for your vehicle, thanks to a spray nozzle with three settings and a chlorine-free formula that won’t fade car upholstery. Odors will disappear as the enzymatic bacteria penetrates deep into stains, activating on contact to feed on ammonia crystals and organic matter. Earning the Seal of Approval from the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI), this environmentally-friendly pet stain cleaner is free of harsh chemicals that leave a residue, so there will be no crunchy upholstery or carpeting. And with a light citrus fragrance, your vehicle won’t be bombed with fake scent additives.
#6 – Best Plant-Derived Dog Stain Remover
- Plant-based, eco-friendly solution with no artificial fragrances or dyes
- No phosphates, chlorine, ammonia, or brighteners
- Live enzyme formula works with citrus extracts to break down & absorb odors
- Safe for use on all surfaces
- Made in the U.S.A & never tested on animals
Made to destroy odor through the power of plants, Biokleen Bac-Out Stain Remover features live enzyme cultures, citrus extracts, and plant-based surfactants that work together to break down and absorb organic material. This plant-based best of the pet stain removers also removes grimy residue buildup on fabrics and surfaces. It’s an eco-friendly solution with no artificial fragrances or dyes. And you can bet you’ll never find this all-natural cleaner made with phosphates, chlorine, ammonia, or brighteners. Plus, it’s made right here at home, and the company doesn’t test on animals.
RELATED: 5 Ingredients That Are Toxic to Dogs in Household Cleaners (+ 1 Great Alternative)
#7 – Best Dog Stain Remover for Hard Floors
- Removes stains & odors from sealed wood, linoleum, vinyl, concrete & ceramic tile
- Disinfects fresh stains & set-in stains
- Great for pet kennels & litter boxes
- No rinsing necessary
- Nature’s Miracle offers a satisfaction guarantee or your money back
Made with odor-locking technology, Nature’s Miracle Hard Floor Cleaner delivers a bio-enzymatic formula that penetrates crevices to destroy stains, while protecting the natural finishes on hard surfaces. With Nature’s Miracle making pet stain cleaners for more than thirty years, they’ve figured out just how to remove stains and odors caused by urine, fecal matter, grease, oil, fats, and other organic substrates from all types of surfaces. But this unique formula is made just for sealed wood, ceramic tiles, vinyl, linoleum, brick, concrete, and grout.
With any of these dog stain cleaners, it’s not just light cleaning; you’ll be getting deep down stain and odor removal to help keep your home fresh and tidy for you and your dog!