iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Crate training is an essential part of your dog’s training routine. So, to help you find the best nest for your pup, we’ve poured through the available options and found the best dog crates out there. But before you decide what crate is suitable for your dog, there are a few things to consider.
Tips for Choosing the Right Crate for Your Pup
Many dog parents use crates as a timeout for bad behavior, but a dog’s kennel should be thought of as a cozy nest. It’s where your dog will sleep, diffuse from tense situations, or just take a break. With this in mind, here are some tips to help you find the best dog crate for your pup:
- Measure your dog to ensure you find the right-sized crate.
- The best fit allows your dog to stand up fully and turn around without hindrance.
- Give extra allowance for adding beds, blankets, and toys.
- Choose a kennel with more than one door.
- If your dog digs or chews, choose crates with materials that can stand up to rough handling.
- When buying a crate for a puppy, look for crates with dividers so your little one can grow with the crate.
- For dogs that tend to have accidents, look for waterproof bottoms and removable pans.
- If you’ll need to move the crate often, consider portability.
Above all else, think about the particular needs of your dog. Some pups want a covered cave to block out the world. Others may prefer a kennel that offers a more open-air setup so they can still be part of the family while getting some downtime.
Now, let’s get to it! Here are the best dog crates you’ll find on the market.
The 9 Best Dog Crates to Give Your BFF the Coziest of Nests
#1 – Best Dog Crate Overall
- Available in multiple sizes to fit the smallest to largest of dogs
- Two large door openings with low thresholds offer easy access
- Slide-bolt door latch features patented Paw Block for extra security
- Round corners and clips provide extra safety
- Includes leak-proof plastic pan that slides out for easy cleaning
- Fold and carry configuration makes for easy storage or travel
From 18-inches to 48-inches, the MidWest iCrate Fold & Carry Double Door Collapsible Wire Dog Crate fits any size dog. And with the included divider, your puppy can grow into an adult in one crate. Choose the size you need to give your pup the perfect fit their whole life through. The price suits any budget, and the setup includes an easy-to-wash bottom tray, carrying handle, and rubber feet to protect floors. Plus, an update to the slide-bolt latch offers extra security against dogs who like to perform escape magic.
#2 – Best Dog Crate Splurge
- Crafted from premium aluminum, coated steel, and reinforced plastic
- Front door, ceiling hatch, and full side door allow access at three points
- Quickly folds up and down for easy portability with wheels and handle
- Diamond-shaped mesh and rounded edges protect paws and mouths
- Available in gray or white, both neutral colors to match any home decor
Made for small and medium-sized dogs, the Diggs Revol Dog Crate opens in the front with a swing-out door, while the side can be opened and tucked back. This fully-open side gives your precious pooch a patio-style experience while letting them feel cozy in their nest. Designed to “baby industry standards,” this sturdy dog crate is constructed from aluminum, steel, and plastic. It also touts diamond-shaped mesh to prevent injury to chewers.
RELATED: Crate Training: 6 Steps For Teaching Your Dog To Love Their Crate
#3 – Best Dog Crates to Save Space
- Sliding double doors save space and offer easy access
- Fitted with corner stabilizers to help prevent rattling and accidental collapse
- Leak-proof pan is removable for easy cleaning
- Durable reinforced wire construction will stand up to time and your dog
- Coated metal design prevents rust
One feature that sets the Lucky Dog Sliding Double Door Wire Dog Crate apart from competitors is its ability to save you some space while still giving your dog ample room. Because crates can eat up room in your house with doors that swing, this dog kennel offers sliding doors on the side for easy in and out. Simplify your life by taking back some space!
#4 – Best Crate for Puppies
- Perfect starter kit for first-time dog parent and their new pup
- Comes with two bowls, dog bed, and crate cover
- Available in multiple sizes for small to large dogs
- Easy to assemble and fold down for storage
- Includes 1-Year Manufacturer’s Warranty on all kit products
The MidWest iCrate Starter Kit is perfect for the new dog parent. The set comes with the MidWest brand dog crate mentioned above and includes a set of stainless steel dishes that attach to the crate wall, a dog bed, and a crate cover. It also comes with a divider so your new puppy can grow into an adult with one kennel.
#5 – Best Crate for Anxious Dogs
- Non-toxic, hammer-tone coating stands up to rust, chewing, and scratching
- Constructed with welded, reinforced steel and two locks for extra security
- Ships partially assembled, just screw the parts together when crate arrives
- 360-degree wheels allow for easy portability and lock for stability
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
Got a nervous chewer or digger that can tear apart a standard dog crate? With its welded and reinforced steel frame, the SMONTER Heavy Duty Dog Crate will stand up to dogs with anxiety that get upset and take it out on their surroundings. This tough crate also offers a hinge-top for easy access when you need to give your anxious dog some reassuring hugs.
RELATED: 7 Sure-Fire Ways to Calm Your Dog’s Anxiety
#6 – Best Portable Dog Crate
- Constructed of lightweight durable steel tubing, polyester and hex mesh fabric
- Offers dogs more room inside than other travel crates
- Set up and fold down in seconds, no tools are needed
- Available in multiple sizes and colors
- Includes a free carrying case and fleece bed
- EliteField offers a 2-Year Warranty for all soft crates
When you need a portable setup, the EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate sets up and folds away in a hurry. And it has two accessory pockets on the top and side to hold travel necessities. With mesh doors on the top, front, and side, this soft crate is well-ventilated and gives dogs plenty of light inside. The wide array of color choices means you can choose your favorite color and multiple sizing means a perfect fit for your dog.
#7 – Best Travel Crate for Dogs
- Heavy-duty plastic shell offers a safe and comfy ride
- Wire-barred windows on all sides give dogs 360-degree ventilation
- Simple, no-tool construction allows for stress-free assembly
- Convenient tie-down strap holes allow for more security
- Meets most airline cargo specifications & USDA shipping requirements for animals
When your dog needs to travel with you, the Petmate Ultra Vari Dog & Cat Kennel is the one you need to get your dog there safely. Made of heavy-duty recycled plastic material, this travel kennel features tie-down strap holes, wire vents for ventilation, and a raised interior to keep pets safe and comfortable. While this kennel is sized for medium and large dogs, Petmate also offers it in various sizes for pups, tiny to giant.
RELATED: The 15 Best Dog Products For Travel
#8 – Best Furniture Crate
- Durable wooden crate doubles as a side table, end table, or nightstand
- Choose from walnut or gray color to match your home
- Features two doors, plenty of ventilation, and a view of your pup
- Top holds up to 150lbs, making it ideal for decor or storage
- Comes with a waterproof padded bolster bed
The Unipaws Wooden Wire Double Door End Table Dog Crate serves as furniture and gives your dog a cozy place of their own. And thanks to a choice of walnut or gray colors, this dual-functioning kennel will look tasteful anywhere you choose to place it. Available in medium and large sizes, you can even remove the door and hinges at the end of the crate to join two for one colossal crate! Keep in mind, though, this furniture crate for dogs may not be suitable for chewers as the bars are chew-proof, but the pressed wood is not.
#9 – Best Crate for Dogs Who Crave Cuteness
- Designed specifically for puppies and small dogs
- Little pups will be safe and cute in this stylish crate
- Pretty in pink, but also available in blue
- Offers slide-bolt latch and rounded edges for extra safety
- Comes with a removable, easy-to-clean bottom pan
For puppies and small dogs that demand extra, the MidWest iCrate Pink Wire Dog Crate is too cute! And it gives them a comfy place to ride out the drama! But if pink isn’t your pup’s color, this crate for small dogs also comes in blue. While stylish, it’s also designed for the safety of little dogs with a slide-bolt latch for security and rounded corners to prevent injury.
RELATED: The 11 Best Potty-Training Products For Puppies & Dogs
Like us, dogs like the cozy life, and the right crate can give your best friend just that. When shopping for a new kennel, be sure to think about what your pup needs above all else. It doesn’t matter if a crate is the cutest or most expensive when it’s not what your dog needs. The wrong one can complicate life rather than simplify it. So, take your time when making the choice. Your dog will appreciate it!